For those not that familiar with St. Louis, we're a big Catholic town and well during lent they sure like to fry up some fish. Unfortunately for me, my Dad is severely allergic to fish, so as a child we were not exposed to it much, with the exception of fish sticks (ewww!) So I really don't like to eat fish. Part of me wishes I did because I can't really go out for sushi and often feel awkward at a seafood restaurant. (side note, my fiance and his family adore seafood...) Anyways an aunt is in from out of town and wanted to get together for a bite to eat this evening. Knowing we would also be taking out Grandma I suggested we check out this fish fry I had heard about... St. Celia's is a church with a large Hispanic population and they do a "Mexican fish fry," which of course appealed to me because of the other options besides fish, including quesadillas and beef toastadas. Here's the menu
Let me start out by saying, I was told by quite a few to arrive there early, but wow they are right. When I got there the line was out the door (which of course was no shock), as we got in the door they informed us it would be an hour wait from there. While we waited in line they have some younger girls come out and do traditional dancing, a mariachi band. There's quite the entertainment while you wait. When we finally go up to place our order it was about an hour from the time I got there, luckily my family was line before because I'm sure I would've had quite the wait. I got the quesadilla and chili relleno, both pretty tasty. It was just a fun and different experience. There have been quite a few articles and even news stories done about this. I will leave you with a link from CNN's story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I could just kick myself that I still haven't been to the St. Cecilia's fish fry, and now it's too late this year! How's the house hunting? What neighborhoods are you exploring? (Liz T.)
ReplyDelete