Saturday, January 9, 2010

Engagement Ring Care

So I've been thinking on this post for quite some time actually. I had to go out and do some research myself regarding this very topic. To be honest of course when I received my beauty, I was absolutely thrilled! However, I have no clue about the care of a such an object and unlike most expensive purchases these babies don't come with an instruction booklet... So here goes. I have pooled this from a few net searches, as well as asking the jeweler.

Prior to my engagement party, I went to the jewlers to get my ring cleaned because I wanted it to look as shiny and wonderful as it first did when I first got it. I'm not saying by any means that it looked dull or anything, but its quite amazing what a little cleaning can do to shine it up. So when I took it to the jewelers, they essentially told me what my aunt had told me. Put it in a small glass (a shot glass is often perfect!) with 1 part ammonia, 3 parts water. So just a tiny bit. Let it soak for overnight (or 1/2 hour according to the jewelers) and ta da, clean! A soft toothbruth or soft cloth can be used as well to help wipe and clean addition bigger dirt off of the ring. I will try this out soon and post results. I'd also be interested to know if anyone has other ideas/ways to keep it clean.

A few other important things the jewelers told me:
  • take off prior to sports
  • take off when showering, using lotions, etc this helps keep it shiny. (Have tried this and thus far it does appear to help quite a bit)
  • try not to touch the diamond, excessive oils on your hands can contribute to the cloudiness of the diamond
  • be careful when using harsh cleaners, they can cause damage to the stone
  • (this one's from my mom) take off gold when getting in the pool, chlorine can damage/strip away layers of gold
  • also check the prongs (the way mine is set, all the prongs should be atop the diamond, if they aren't take it back and they'll happily adjust it!)

When all else fails, the place it was purchased usually will clean it for free for you! So feel free to stop by there and have them clean it for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment